A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Everlasting Song: Sage Entry?

Everlasting song has been remade, now in c instead of mmf. The powerful tools allow me to create a more consistend and variated gameplay.

Probably ported to psp and gp2x wiz.

And about sage. I would like to make a full playable demo, but it seems i lack of time. There are lots of bugs and i have to play some things before I release a demo, so I don't know if I will be able to release a demo, but here I leave some new info.

completedmap.jpg

newshopfr0.jpg

neweffectsjw0.jpg

pic23f.jpg

pic24b.jpg

evs.jpg

hida.jpg

hida2.jpg

eveninga.jpg

dayc.jpg

nightkut.jpg

night2e.jpg

evening2.jpg

othert.jpg

othero.jpg

Hopefully I will have something playable for SAGE.

Scatta, original, but based on wonderboy.

Sslaxx, I am using openlayer.

Violet CLM, I have to compress and encode datafiles before releasing anything, but later I will share beta releases for testing. I now have a bunch of 1200 bmps spread on different folders ._.

Eh... so what exactly is a library anyway? Is it like an "engine" with a basic feature set written in a programming language or..?

Not quite.

A library for a programming language is a collection of functions and routines (usually) that extend the functionality of that language. So you could, say, write a 2D RPG engine using SFML or Allegro/Openlayer with C++, but they are not in themselves game engines.

Need to get working collision detection with SFML, but I doubt it'd be terribly hard. It's speed of development is nice, too.

Pixel mask based or polygon based? If you want pixel mask based, there was one available on the wiki IIRC. if you want to make a polygon based one... search for "Separating Axis theorem" on google.

• Like 1

Pixel mask based or polygon based? If you want pixel mask based, there was one available on the wiki IIRC. if you want to make a polygon based one... search for "Separating Axis theorem" on google.

I tried it, can't get the pixel-based collision code on the wiki to compile. G++ 4.3.x. doesn't like the way some of the Vector2f declarations are handled it seems. I'm contemplating converting the SDL_collide code to use SFML.

I'll certainly take a look out for that theorem, though! Thanks for the lead.

In other words, an Allegro wrapper? What's it like to use? I liked using Allegro 4.0.x, not tried any of the more recent versions though, and hadn't heard of Openlayer until you just mentioned it.

OpenLayer is kind of easy to use. It overwrites the bitmap and blit functions to use 3D acceleration. Works so fine since I had an effect that slowed my application from 150 fps to 5 and after porting it to allegro it works at 75fps (I can't check any faster frame rate since with this lib I can just use my desktop refresh time, and 75 is the faster it allows).

I've never played Wonderboy, but I played the last beta of Everlasting Song and I personally would have a hard time classifying it as a platformer/sidescroller. The difficulty, meticulous exploration and collection, and the items actually makes me more willing to consider it a sidescrolling rpg and more likely to compare it to Metroid.

Will we find any items that allow us to take more of a beating? I like a difficult game, but it would be nice if I could make it a bit further each time instead of racing to the angel so I wouldn't lose my progress. In the final game would we expect to get additional health points a'la Legend of Zelda to prepare us for harder enemies?

Looking forward to getting into this one again. I hope you can iron everything out in time for SAGE, but don't put yourself under too much pressure. The best games always come to SAGE two weeks late anyway. (points at Sonic Retro of '07, and Sonic Nexus of '08)

JEV3, yeah. You can find half hearts everywhere. With two of them, you receive one extra heart, 10 extra health points. I would like to have arround 150 health points, so there are 24 half hearts.

Also you can find in this new version colour statues. Each one gives you one extra magic point. You can increase the maximun ammount of magic you can carry from 5 to 9, so there are 20 statues to find.

Furthermore, there are 32 weapons, 16 armours, 10 shoes and 32 rings, among the extras: finding all 150 rainbow pearls, filling the enemy list, completing all the quests, finding every item and finishing the secret dungeons.

Oh, I forgot that in this version you will be able to equip 2 different rings, so you have more possibilities. Also there are 3 new potions. Before you hade green (long range attack), purple (increased damage) and blue (regeneration). Now blue is cyan, and you have also yellow (incredibly damage aura), red (invulnerability) and blue (full healing). Every level has been remade from zero, even if they have the same structure, they had been enhanced, with new areas to explore, new challenges, less empty areas and more calculated jumps.

Also, there is a day-night change. You stay 4 hours at day, 3 at night, 1 at sunset and 1 at morning. Depending of the daytime you could find different enemies. For example, that ghost girls in the video appears only at night. The ruins have a different time situation, where you stay 4 hours at sunset, 3 at morning, 1 at day and 1 at night, so your chances of finding them are very low, and they have a secret drop: katana. A strong weapon in the begginning of the game, and also the fastest one.

Anyway, I won't do it in time. I have my vacations after next week and there are so many bugs to release a stable version. Well, it's playable but it crashes when you go to an undone level or some hazards have some strange bugs i'm working on fixing.

LarkSS, each time you change from map the game advances 1 hour.

Overbound, sfa is as always, waiting for sprites and cutscenes =_=. And Sonic utopia died time ago when my source code got corrupted U_U. After some time trying to recover it without success, I decided to start from zero, but this time with an original game.

Yes I must play this game... I SAGEgasmed when I played this game last year...

I spent so much time playing that demo that I lost track of time completely...

I can't wait... Keep up the great work... And can't wait to see what this new engine does for the game...

Thank you, ssbfalcon. This engine should play just like the old demo but with more and more. I just need to fix the problems I am having with openGl and I could release a demo. It could be ported to gp32 and psp so you can play it everywhere.