A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

[Help] 3D water effect in MMF2

Floofy

I feel like all I ever do around here is ask for help without ever contributing anything... I can do springs and checkpoints, and destructible objects and physics, but 3d water is just confusing and I haven't seen a good example in MMF2...

Would anyone care to enlighten me on 3D water, such as that in Hydrocity?

The easiest solution would have to be to use the Mode7 object. Take a look at some examples of it in action, then pass it a water texture and align it to your water level. For correct layering purposes you may want to use two Mode7 objects, one behind the foreground and another in front, so that you get the visualization of you actually passing through the water when going low enough.

You are in luck. I just did this a few weeks ago for... I'm not sure, I'm guessing Blazefire. In any event, feel free to use the tutorial, but don't use the graphics. They aren't mine.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, unless you just happen to have your monitor set to a 50hz refresh rate, you'll probably find that a lot smoother if you up the frame rate to 60.

The idea behind it is basically the same as how Damizean handled it in Pristine Palisade back in the day, though I included a couple extra water-surface doodads and didn't optimize it. I'm not sure exactly how Dami did that way back when, but if you use realtime scaling on large objects like this it can get pretty heavy after a while, so don't consider this a perfect method. I did use the lower quality of scaling though, so it shouldn't be horrible.

If I recall correctly, Dami said there was a way to precache the scaling so that a certain number of relevant scaling levels could be used (say... -100 pixels to 100 pixels, though that's a lot of images to have in ram) to save on the processing. I'm not sure, I'll have to ask him.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that if this were in HWA, it'd probably be a lot better due to GPU scaling.

quick_scale.mfa

• Like 1